Nowadays the mobile application testing service every day gains more and more popularity. Functional testing of mobile applications usually covers user interaction testing as well as transactions testing.
Some Important Factors for Mobile Application Testing:
- Type of application determined by its business functionality (banking, game industry, social networks, education).
- Target audience (user, company, educational environment).
- Channel by which an application is distributed (e.g., App Store, Google Play or the direct distribution).
In simple terms, there is a need to check if an app performs the expected functions which are usually described in specifications or are dictated by the business processes. That’s why functional testing can be performed based on the requirements.
At this rate the test cases are formulated – for their creation the technical task based on the business processes is used. Hereafter the mobile application testing companies recommend to develop the so called use cases. They describe the everyday or constant scenarios of an application use.
Basic Scenarios of the Mobile Functional Testing:
- To check the correctness of the mandatory fields work.
- To ensure that mandatory and non-mandatory fields are displayed on the screen differently.
- To make certain that the app’s operation meets the main requirements at launching/exiting.
- To verify that the app switches to the background mode in case of the incoming call (for this one another phone is needed).
- To examine if a phone can save, receive and send SMS during the app’s operation. For this purpose another phone, from which it is possible to send a message to the device under test with the already running application, is required.
- To true up if a device works in the multitasking mode when it is needed.
- To test how the essential for the social networks options (Share, Publish, Navigation) operate.
- To make certain that the app maintains the payment transactions via payment systems Visa, Mastercard, Paypal and others.
- To inspect the adequacy of the scrolling page scripts’ operation.
- To monitor if the corresponding navigation between important app modules is available.
- To proof that the number of rounding mistakes is minimal.
- To check the existence of the error messages, for example, the “Network error. Please, try again later” message in a case of the incorrect network operation.
- To find if the installed app does not prevent the normal operation of the other applications and does not gobble their memory.
- To revise if an app is able to return to the state in which it was before the delay (e.g. hard reset or a system failure).
- The app’s installation should be performed without any significant errors on condition that a device meets the system requirements.
- To ascertain that the automatic launching of an app works correspondingly.
- Many mobile app testing companies insist on the additional verification of how an app works on diverse devices of the 2G, 3G and 4G generations.
- To perform the regression testing in order to detect new program failures in the already existing and modified system areas. Additional performing of all the previous tests is also desirable to check the program behavior after modifications.
- To ensure that the available user guide exists.