Bug Tracking System (BTS) is an application program that is created to help testers and developers to track the history of bug reports during their work. Bug trackers enable to create, store, view and modify information about bugs. The key part of such systems is a database.
Below, there is the list of the most popular and useful bug tracking systems.
Bugzilla is one of the most popular bug tracking systems used by many software testing companies. This system is free and with an opened source code that is convenient for configuration and administration. Users are satisfied with a high performance and work stability of Bugzilla.
Benefits of Bugzilla:
- easy and self-intuitive GUI;
- the configuration of mail notifications about detected bugs, changes in bug status, reassigning of bugs;
- restricting the access to the project;
- bug creation and editing and its translation from one state to another;
- the configuration of reports by means of charts, tables and diagrams;
- suitable for the software testing companies that perform many projects.
Bugzilla necessary components:
- Perl library;
- Apache web server;
- one of the database management systems: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle.
JIRA is the bug tracking system that is very popular among web testing companies and dedicated testing teams due to its broad functionality options. It is a fee-paying system, but one can purchase a license for a desired quantity of connections.
Benefits of JIRA:
- the configuration of bug’s translation from one state to another;
- watchdog creation and configuration for each project;
- suitable for large distributed projects;
- the system is supported with an integration with such version control systems as GIT, SVN, CVS and Perforce.
JIRA necessary components:
- Java library;
- Apache Tomcat web server;
- one of the following database management systems: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, HSQLBD.
Microsoft TFS – is the set of tools and technologies that enables the dedicated testing team to co-operate and coordinate their efforts for a successful project performance and its completion.
Benefits of Microsoft TFS:
- the system enables staff to cooperate, to track the state of work, to distribute each member of the project with his or her responsibilities etc.;
- is fully integrated with the Microsoft Visual Studio;
- enables a full trace of elements;
- possibility to create various reports, store the project documentation and source codes, etc.;
- the system includes special tools for the product assembly and its configuration;
- necessary tools for performing automated testing services;
- operates exclusively with the Microsoft technologies.
Microsoft TFS necessary components:
- Windows Server 2003 or 2008;
- IIS web server;
- MS SQL Server 2005 or 2008.