This article can help you easily understand scriptless automation testing tools.
At first, let’s take a look at the basic levels of software testing automation.
#1 Scripting and Coding
As the name implies, first of all, it is creating a program or the whole software which can automate the web components testing.
Example. If you need to test a particular function or a class, you will have to create a test program to perform this test. There’s no chance to automate unit tests without coding.
In other words, if software testing automation compels the tester create specialized test cases for test input, data processing or reporting of automated tests; then such utilities are categorized at this level.
At this stage, the tester doesn’t have to be familiar with any coding or create an automated test. But it will be great to have a customization function here.
Experienced QA specialists can customize by writing their own code for covering some parts of test cases.
#3 Automation using artificial intelligence (AI)
It is the highest level of automation that can be reached if:
- You create test scripts from real test case documents;
- There’s an auto-correction of test cases based on app structure changes for regression testing aims;
- There’s an automated validation of test results based on machine learning. Moreover, a user doesn’t have to input on what should be tested.
Further, we will talk about the three most popular and relevant automation testing tools which are scriptless.
Scriptless Automation Testing Tools
This is a modern Selenium test automation platform without the need to create test scripts. AI solutions and visual modeling parameters allow creating and executing tests without previous editing of test cases.
QA specialists can manage many parameters of test automation without coding. Customers can find bugs quickly, search for critical vulnerabilities in logic and improve the quality of digital software.
Main peculiarities of TestCraft:
- User doesn’t need to have any programming skills. Use classic business knowledge to show its key details in the automated test suite.
- Substantial reduce in maintenance costs. All available test scripts are customized automatically for the client’s tasks (due to AI solutions). Just a few clicks can change test case.
- And finally, it doesn’t require software installation. There’s selenium integration.
This is a multifunctional cloud-based platform for continuous testing. Also, it is completely automated. And of course, customers don’t have to create a program code.
A lot of popular IT companies use the ACCELQ services in order to perform automated testing all aspects of software lifecycle (from its design to creation and deployment of test cases).
ACCELQ technologies save about 70% of clients’ time and money involved in the maintenance efforts. The main peculiarity of this service is self-healing automation based on AI core.
Technological capabilities of this platform:
- Parameters of the visual application modeling for designing and following automation of the software lifecycle;
- Codeless API and UI in the same flow;
- Continuous test data generation and test planning for the future;
- Automation within one sprint;
- No vendor lock. The product has an open-source code as well.
This product has a full toolset for quick scriptless testing automation. It is perfect to check the efficiency of web products, mobile apps, and various desktop software.
Its peculiarities are:
- Ranorex Recorder – quick AV recording of user-software interaction. Also, there are options for prolonged test recording, pausing it, editing steps and others.
- Ranorex Spy – perform the identification of any UI objects with one click and place them into the test case. As well its functionality has a capability of automated processing of any web elements.
- You can change recorded steps, update tests, import data from Excel file or other databases.
- There is a built-in Selenium WebDriver. You can easily perform cross-browser testing in web driver, Selenium Grid or cloud infrastructure.
- The built-in function of test execution reporting. If a test fails, you can watch a video and see what happened. Just click on the failed test and edit its structure.
- Also, there’s full integration with Jira, Bugzilla, and CI/CD tools.
Advantages of Scriptless Test Automation
- Tester does not need to have any special programming or scripting skills.
- Automation testing environment can be popular and in-demand among testers as well as product owners and business analytics.
- If specialists follow the Agile principles on the project, then scriptless test automation plays a significant part.
- Complete flexibility for both advanced users and new ones.
- Low probability of bug detection because all tests which are offered to the user were tested thoroughly initially.
- Flexible and effective maintenance.
Myths About Scriptless Automation
SAF (Scriptless Automation Frameworks) do not use scripts at all
This statement is completely wrong. Despite the fact that at first, it should have been a codeless testing environment, in the real world it is near impossible.
The main reason for this is many difficulties inside the tested applications, programming language, and technologies that are used during software development. It means that the prime cause of SAF usage is providing constant flexibility in the test environment configuration.
If you use SAF, it’s not necessary to know a programming language
It is not actually the truth. When you perform independent testing of the client’s product, it is important to use basic programming concepts and logic skills.
When it comes to mobile products or desktop applications, a tester needs to understand the basics of classes and objects that have to be included in the set of test cases.
Nevertheless, there’re tools like TestCraft which do not require a deep knowledge of script-based testing. Moreover, the functionality of this software involves using the parameters of drag-and-dropping the objects ant their meanings into the selected test case.
So, creating a codeless and scriptless testing infrastructure is a both difficult and exciting process.
Similar test data can be created for any software testing (for example, testing of the mobile app, databases or web products on the PC). Without a doubt, you should make good efforts to create a stable and easy-to-use web tool for the testing.
Using the SAF methodology is just a way to implement your technical solutions in the working test environment. However, the configuration of such a test environment sometimes cannot meet initial user requirements.