If you want to find a new profession and work remotely but you doubt whether to start, the following material will greatly help you with this. Here you can find some interesting tips and a comprehensive action checklist.
1. Find the cause of your fear and a way to resist it
As you know, fear is a kind of defense mechanism that is very old, as it comes from the times when our ancestors were looking for protection from dangers: wildlife, animals, and hunger. Time passed, living conditions changed, but fear always remained.
Nowadays, we have various reasons to worry about whether our salary will be enough, whether we will be fired, whether we will be able to find a new job, etc.
But to deal with fear, we need to find its root cause. There can be many reasons, let’s analyze the most common ones:
- Fear of judgment from others. Our family and friends may not always share our enthusiasm for life changes. Therefore, first of all, we need to look for support within ourselves. You can turn to specialists but if you want to cope on your own, write down the answers to the following questions. Why do I want to change my profession? How would I see myself if I were always supported? Am I ready to live with the consequences of my inaction?
- Fear of uncertainty. It is a normal and habitual desire of each of us to maintain stability of thought. However, no one can give a 100% guarantee that life will not make some adjustments to it. To feel more confident, you need to constantly train your inner flexibility.
- Fear of not being able to achieve the desired result. Each of us at least once has faced such questions as: What if I regret it? What if I fail? What if I’m disappointed but it’s too late? Such questions can trivialize all efforts but it’s worth looking at the situation from a different perspective. What if it works out?
2. Building a risk plan
There is something that unites all human fears: each of us is afraid of losing stability. However, to grow and make your life more comfortable, you need to act constantly.
Sure, every action is a risk. Therefore, you need to develop a special plan of action that can reduce them:
- take care of financial reserves (if you have a job and are waiting for the first money for the project, you should have a reserve of funds set aside);
- reasonable study planning (if you go to work in the morning, do housework in the evening, and still try to study, this is not the best combination);
- structured study (divide the study of the material by topic into equivalent periods).
3. Getting to know yourself
At the very beginning of your new career, you need to check your skills and experience. This approach will help you in your job search and see a realistic picture:
- What can prevent you from achieving your goals?
- What can be used to speed up the learning and job search process?
How can you understand yourself?
Values. When studying, you may encounter situations when certain things do not work out the first time. This can make you doubt whether you should continue the path you have chosen. Therefore, you need to have a certain background that will motivate you to keep going.
Identifying strengths and weaknesses. None of us are perfect. Therefore, it is quite normal to have traits that prevent you from achieving success. The main is to understand them and formulate a set of actions that can reduce the negative impact.
4. Gradual mastery of new skills
We often wait for the right moment: when we have more free time, when we buy a new apartment when we pay off our credits. But such procrastination only creates new fears and worries. That’s why you need to start right now!
You can use the following checklist as a guide:
- Enroll in training courses;
- Seek support from family and friends;
- Regularly improve your professional skills;
- Subscribe to interesting thematic blogs.
Finding a new profession or changing jobs is a specific step in life that can be a catalyst for stress and anxiety. But if you build a solid foundation in time, it will be easier to achieve your goal.
Don’t be afraid to change something, listen to your inner voice, make plans, and objectively assess your capabilities. Success always comes to those who believe in themselves and are constantly developing.