Usability testing companies perform such verification in order to help developers in creation of the applications, quick and simple in use. The main purpose is to ensure the app’s usability, to create the intuitive and corresponding to the common standards interface.
Performing Usability Testing Tester Needs:
- to make sure that buttons are of adequate size and are suitable for large fingers;
- to locate buttons in one screen area in order not to cause the users’ confusion;
- to check if icons and images are displayed naturally according to the app’s environment;
- to ascertain that the color of buttons performing the same function coincides;
- to make certain that the system of zoom in and out of view functions properly;
- to provide minimal keyboard input;
- to examine if it is possible to return or to cancel an action in case of tapping the wrong button;
- to detect if the contextual menus are not overloaded as far as they suggest the quick use;
- to verify if text is simple, clear and visible for a user;
- to true up that short sentences and paragraphs are readable;
- to find the optimal font size;
- to inspect that in case of the great information content loading an app warns user about the possible failures in its work;
- to test if it is permissible to exit an app from any mode and that it resumes operation at the same state;
- to check if all the lines are displayed in proper language and if an app contains translation option;
- to ascertain that the app components are synchronized with the user’s actions;
- to assure a user guide which could help to understand the app’s operation and to use it efficiently.
Usability mobile app testing services are generally performed by the users’ participation because only real people can understand the subjective sensations caused by an application of the others.
Usability mobile testing as a service is a testing method aimed to determine the level of usability, educability, intelligibility and attraction for the target audience of the product being developed in the context of specified conditions.
Usability Level is Evaluated by the Following Points:
- Performance and efficiency – how much time and steps will user need to complete the basic app’s tasks, for example, to post a piece of news, to register, to make a purchase (the less time and steps user needs – the better).
- Accuracy – how many failures does user commit during the app’s running?
- Activation of memory (recall) – for how long does user remember the way to use an app after the delay of working with it for a long period of time? (The repeated performing the operations after the delay should be performed faster than for a new user).
- Emotional response – how does a user feel after the task completion: confused, stressed or, conversely, he liked everything? Will he recommend the system to his friends?
Two Principles to be Followed for Usability Enhancement:
- “Fool-tolerance” – if a field proposes to enter the phone number, then the input range should be limited only by numbers and the keyboard should be accordingly formed. The same should be performed for the e-mail and other elements supposing the user data input.
- Deming cycle (Plan-Do-Study-Act) – it means that an information about the design and usability should be received from the existing users and, based on their opinions, the app modifications should be planned as well.