Perhaps, nobody will deny the fact that social media have become a lifeline in today’s reality.
It’s because even a simple app will help to:
- Communicate with other people;
- Run business;
- Find and/or offer a job;
- Find necessary information on any topics and at any taste.
Of course, social media applications can have not only advantages but can also be harmful and dangerous.
Such software can become a catalyst for data leakage, finance leakage, and other types of leakage if it is not properly tested.
Even a not really important function that has not been properly tested can affect the work and business processes of thousands of people that depend on this application in some way.
Therefore, proper testing of a social media application is very important.
Why should we perform thorough testing of social media?
According to the statistics published on Statista, from the beginning of 2021, the number of active users of social media equaled approximately 3.2 billion people.
Such a rapid increase in popularity of social portal usage for communication is a catalyst for the execution of efficient and working tests to avoid big failures (such as the ones Facebook once encountered).
Main types of social media testing
Modern social media are in some way a set of various parameters and functions.
Testing of social media and also their applications requires vast knowledge and a proper set of skills.
Typical social media software testing methodology comprises the following testing types:
- Corporate software testing: such software is aimed to be used by numerous people, therefore, needs a high level of web security testing from the beginning. Sometimes to make this software work properly, you need to pay special attention to testing several high-performance solutions;
- Web 2.0 testing: if social media software is developed on Web 2.0, such software requires engaging testers at the very first stages. Such products are frequently affected by various updates, so automation is necessary here.
- Web testing, including security testing, functional testing, compatibility testing, and database testing.
- SaaS testing: if some social media services use SaaS models, testing of such software should be based specifically on service models;
- SEO testing: SEO plays a role in a website’s promotion on the Internet. It’s logical to suppose that SEO testing is very important to make client software properly and efficiently promoted in social media;
Working tips to improve the process of social media testing
- The engaged testing department should have some experience in the development and execution of Web 2.0 testing;
- Execution of complex testing;
- Autonomous testing of components of the entire software structure.
Social media software goes through a new boom. Each of us in some way becomes dependent on using such software on an everyday basis and a business basis.
Its widespread usage leads to the necessity of its efficient and complete testing to provide an end-user with a properly functioning product.